- There are 1000 different types of banana plants in the world, but most are unpalatable.
- A row of bananas is sometimes called a ‘hand’, while a single banana is called a ‘finger’.
- The Gros Michel banana was a popular variety before crops were destroyed by Panama disease in the 1950′s. Panama disease attacks the roots of banana plants.
- Lady Finger bananas are small, sweet and have relatively thin skins.
- Bananas sent overseas are picked green and ripened under special conditions when they reach their destination.
- Bananas are naturally radioactive. This is because they contain high amount of potassium.
- Over 100 billion bananas are consumed annually in the world, making bananas 4th largest agricultural product in the world.
- Uganda has the highest average per person consumption of bananas in the world, Ugandans eat on average around 500 pounds of banana per person, per year.
- The average banana weighs around 125 grams.
- Bananas contain around 75% water.
Subscribe for Our Newsletter
Get in Touch with us!