- There are 38 species of deer around the world, including the reindeer, elk and moose.
- Male deer grow new antlers each year.
- Deer establish a territory and will not leave it.
- Deer can live up to 11 years in the wild.
- Just 2 deer without predation can produce a herd of up to 35 deer in just 7 years.
- Deer have a great sense of hearing. They have a lot of muscles attached to their ears which allow them to turn their ears in any direction, without moving their heads. They can hear higher frequencies of sound than humans.
- The brown coat of the deer provides great camouflage in the woodlands. By standing still, they can go undetected by a passing predator.
- A female deer is called doe or hind; a male deer is called stag or buck; baby deer is called fawn or yearling.
- When deer feel threatened, they will raise their tail to warn other deer.
- In the winter months, when less food is available, deer will become less active. By slowing down, they can get by eating only about one third of the food they normally eat. They will also hang out in the woods more to escape the cold winds.
Subscribe for Our Newsletter
Get in Touch with us!