- A donkey is stronger than a horse of the same size.
- Donkeys have an incredible memory – they can recognise areas and other donkeys they were with up to 25 years ago.
- The donkey, Equus africanus asinus, is a small domesticated member of the horse family.
- The donkey varies in color from sandy, brown or reddish to gray.
- A male donkey and a female horse may give birth to a mule; a male horse and female donkey make a hinny.
- They can run up to 50 kilometers (31 miles) per hour.
- Baby donkeys or baby mules are known as Foals.
- China has the largest number of donkeys with about 11 million of the world’s 41 million.
- The phrase ‘donkey’s years’ to mean a long time began as a pun on the length of donkey ears.
- In the desert environment a donkey is able to hear the call of another donkey 60 miles away, they have far larger ears than horses. Their large ears also help keep them cool.
Subscribe for Our Newsletter
Get in Touch with us!