Interesting Facts About Rice
- As rice is low in sodium, it is considered best food for those suffering from high blood pressure and hypertension.
- The average person in the UK eats just 4.4kg of rice each year compared with 40-60kg in some parts of Asia.
- Whole grain rice like brown rice is rich in insoluble fiber that can possibly protect against many types of cancers.
- Rice can germinate and thrive in flooded fields.
- In Burma, a person consumes about five-hundred pounds of rice a year.
- Asia alone both produces and consumes 90% of the world’s rice.
- World rice production in 2007 was approximately 645 million tonnes with over 114 countries growing rice.
- The first documented account of rice was by a Chinese emperor about 2,800 BC.
- As rice is rich in carbohydrates, it acts as fuel for the body and aids in normal functioning of the brain.
- After rice has been fully cooked, each grain of rice swells to three times in original weight.
Subscribe for Our Newsletter
Get in Touch with us!